Where would we be without the humble jump ring? A tiny but essential bit of kit for connecting, which has recently come into its own due to the pop...View full details
Free Instructions: Emerald Beaded Kumihimo Bracelet
Discover the effect of combining beads with the kumihimo braiding technique to create your own tactile bracelet. We chose Emerald silver lined seed beads, which would make this bracelet a beautiful May Birthday gift - the birthstone of May being Emerald. The rich green and silver combination could be worn at Christmas time, or to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Personalise it by choosing your own charm to hang from the charm hanger to suit the occasion, a four leaf clover, a snowflake, or Christmas tree, or pop a letter bead on an eye pin, turn a neat loop to create your own personalised letter charm. Fancy choosing your own colour way? Just swap out the Emerald green beads, or Silver beads with a colour of your choice, just make sure they are size 8/0s!
Materials Needed:: 5 meters of S-Lon ( SLC), 2 x 5g Packs of size 8/0 Silver Lined Emerald seed beads ( S816), 3g Size 8/0 Matte Metallic Seed Beads ( (ME831), 2 x 4mm Cord Ends (CEA4SP), 4 x 5mm jump rings (JR5SP), 1 x large bead hanger (BH1SP), 1 x flower toggle (TOG35SP), and charms of your choice! We chose a tiny green glass pendant (GLTQ16), and a leaf charm (MT1DZ).
Tools Needed: Beads Unlimited braiding disc (BRD), Sharp pair of scissors (SCIMX), strong superglue (ZAP-1), Bobbins (BOB1), Kumihimo weight (KW45), two pairs of chain nosed pliers (PR1CN) or flat nosed pliers (PR1FN).
- Cut eight 60cm lengths of S-Lon. Hold the strands together at one end and tie the strands in a knot, leaving a few cm at the knotted end
- Take 6 of your cords and thread 45 emerald silver lined seed beads onto them, tying a knot at the end of the loose end so your beads don't fall off
- Take 1 of your cords and thread 45 seed beads; threading 1 silver bead, 1 emerald bead alternately, tying a knot at the end of the loose end.
- Take 1 of your cords and thread 45 seed beads, threading 1 emerald bead, 1 silver bead alternately, tying a knot at the end of the loose end.
- Move your beads up your cord near the big knot, leaving about 20cm of cord. At the other end of each of your cords, wind a bobbin on. Do not wind your beads on though (photo 1)
- With the number side of the Beads Unlimited braiding disc facing up, place the knotted end through the centre of the disc, clip on your kumihimo weight - this will create the right tension for braiding. Hold the disc so that 32 is at the top and 16 is at the bottom.
- Place the silver/ emerald thread in between the 31 + 32
- Place an emerald beaded thread in between the 32 + 1
- Place an emerald bead cord in between 7 + 8
- Place an emerald bead cord in between 8 + 9
- Place an emerald/ silver bead cord in between 15 + 16
- Place an emerald bead cord in between 16 + 17
- Place an emerald bead cord in between 23 + 24
- Place an emerald beads cord in between 24 + 25
- Carefully remove the cord between 16 + 17 (bottom left) and insert it between 30 + 31 (top left) (Picture 3)
- Carefully remove the cord between 1 + 32 (top right) and insert it between 14 + 15 (bottom right) (Picture 4)
- Turn the disc anti - clockwise, so the number 8 is at the top, and number 24 is at the bottom. Carefully remove the cord between 24 + 25 (bottom left) and insert it in between 6 + 7 (picture 5)
- Remove the cord between 8 + 9 (top right) and insert it between 22 + 23 (bottom right) (Picture 6)
- Turn the disc anti-clockwise to the next set of cords. Repeat the braiding pattern of: bottom left to top left, top right to bottom right. Turn the disc and repeat the bradining pattern until the braid is roughly 2cm long (photo 7)
- Now you're ready to add beads. Remove the bottom left cord, slide a bead up the cord towards the braid. Tuck the bead under the cord that crosses in front of it , then place the cord in the top left slot (picture 8)
- Remove the top right cord, and slide a bead up the cord towards the braid. Tuck the beads under the cord that crosses in front of it, then place the cord in the bottom right slot.
- Turn the disc anti- clockwise and repeat steps 8 and 9, and watch as your beaded braid appears! Continue until your beaded braid is your required length (picture 9) continue braiding without beads for 2cm.
- Hold your braid from underneath the disc ensuring you have grabbed the very top. Very carefully release the strands from the disc.
- Trim your plain braid down and test the fit inside the end cap - very carefully so the braid does not unravel. The end cap should hide the plain section of the braid
- Dap some glue inside one of your end caps and secure the braid inside - ensuring all ends are neatly tucked inside the cap. Hold the braid and clasp in place until the cord ends feels secure. Wipe off any excess glue, leave over night for it to dry (picture 10)
- Using chain nosed pliers, open up a jump ring, loop the ring of the bead hanger on to your jump ring, and your charm, and close the jump ring. Repeat again for your other chosen charm(s) (picture 11)
- Slide your bead hanger on to your beaded kumihimo (picture 12)
- Using two pairs of flat nosed, or chain nosed pliers, open up a jump ring , and use it to link together one half of your toggle clasp to the end loop of your cord end of the kumihimo braid, close the jump ring. Repeat at the other end, with the other half of the toggle (picture 13)
You're finished !
We Would love to see your finished piece ! E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
See Below For Related Products
S-Lon Bead Cord Black 70m - Pack of 1S-Lon bead cord is made from nylon of course and can be used for almost any beading task. It threads beautiful...View full details
O802C-100Original Price £4.75Current Price £3.80
SB8MX22-50Original Price £2.50Current Price £2.00
Stork Scissors Multicolour - Pack of 1An absolutely essential tool for any beadwork. These scissors have fine tips to get into awkward spaces. Rem...View full details
S-Lon Bead Cord Silver 70m - Pack of 1S-Lon bead cord is made from nylon of course and can be used for almost any beading task. It threads beautifu...View full details
O801C-100Original Price £4.00Current Price £3.20
T8MXC-100Original Price £5.10Current Price £4.08
SB8MX18-50Original Price £2.50Current Price £2.00
SB8MX17-50Original Price £2.50Current Price £2.00
S-Lon bead cord is made from nylon of course and can be used for almost any beading task. It threads beautifully as it doesn’t fray, no need to rev...View full details
These lovely little leaves have been really popular and look great worn as an everyday pair of earrings. Because they're so light they can also be ...View full details
S-Lon Bead Cord Golden Yellow 70m - Pack of 1S-Lon bead cord is made from nylon of course and can be used for almost any beading task. It threads b...View full details
JRC5BA-100Original Price £2.95Current Price £2.21
Where would we be without the humble jump ring? A tiny but essential bit of kit for connecting, the closed variety are ideal for use between open l...View full details
S831C-100Original Price £7.50Current Price £6.00
O8MXC-100Original Price £5.35Current Price £4.28